Monday 1 June 2009

Investments and Savings

I know, SUCH an eye-catching title for a Monday :P

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with somebody about 'opening a bank account'. Not a regular bank account: a HAPPINESS bank account. The theory was/is that for every positive experience you have, you savour it while it lasts and then stash away the memory in this bank account. Over time, the 'capital' builds and then when the chips are down in life, you can head to the 'bank', pull out some of those happy times and relive the memories of when things get brighter.

I used to think that my 'bad' days were unique to me- it's only been pretty recently that I've realised that EVERYONE has crappy days. Everyone has days where everything seems to go wrong, or something bad happens or just a general "blah" feeling for no tangible reason. I'd love to be one of those people who are happy all the time and take everything in their stride- but I'm not. I over analyse things, I worry too much about stuff outwith my control and I take things very personally. I think this 'bank account' concept is such a great idea because on the inevitable crappy days, it's hard to remember that it's JUST a 'bad' day and it happens to most people. Some more frequently than others, but life isn't all sunshine and rainbows and occasional rainfalls are just part and parcel of being human.

So now my question: what good stuff has happened to you lately that you would want to put in your happiness account?

Heh, sometimes I feel like I think/talk too much. Maybe tomorrow I'll keep things lighter and write about...shoes? Interior design? Spaghetti?

Yes, food talk is good. So lets get to that...

*********

Last night's dinner turned into a 'pot luck'-type event. I pulled a container out of the freezer yesterday morning- I could identify red stuff (tomato sauce), white chunks which I thought were beans and green stuff which I thought was mould herbs. Bean stew?

PASTA! I was secretly very happy to discover this lay inside the icy box... This was made a while ago (containing a tomato herb sauce with melted laughing cow cheese, chopped up quorn filllet, broccoli and pasta) and I completely forgot I had some left. I should start labelling my tupperware (or just having fun with the surprises that come out of my freezer!) Where my beans have gone too, I have no idea...

Breakfast this morning was a K-inspired parfait...

Chopped apple, Fage and Bare Naked fruit and nut granola. This glass is this biggest one I own, but I think I need a proper parfait glass. I ended up throwing this into a bowl so I could mix it up properly...this picture is much prettier though so I won't show you the bowl-shot!

Money-shot of a snack...

Caramel peanut nougat Atkins bar. I am *not* an Atkins 'fan' by any means, but I like anything with chocolate and caramel high-protein snacks. The ingredient list kind of made me feel like I was in a chemistry lab, but hey...it tasted good.

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!

20 comments:

Cacti Don't Cry said...

The "bank account" is an interesting concept... the best part of it is that it wouldn't be drained the way a real bank account is if you make "withdrawals"!

Most recent "happy thing" I'd put in is getting certified. Period. Not going to make a bunch of excuses / justifications for it!

I'm going to vote for the shoes post... but you know, that can get very involved. ;)

<3 <3

Gina; The Candid RD said...

You know, I agree with you about the Adkins bar. I mean, they taste great, but the chemicals, or whatever, found on the ingredients list are so foreign! I also think they give me gas because of all the sugar alcohols. But every once in a while, why not?!

The pasta looks amazing by the way. I love extra sauce on my pasta.

K from ksgoodeats said...

I LOVE the parfait :) Glad you liked it!! It's pretty!

Whenever I'm down I always try to think of at least one thing that is positive. I don't like being down in the dumps - it's a drag!

Anonymous said...

Yup - your post heading definately didn't get me excited! But I do like the idea of a happiness account (though does that mean we have a sadness account?) My birthday recently made me happy - so do all the hugs from my mum :-)

Haha - I'm with you on the Atkins bars! They taste good, but the ingredients are sooo long. Plus, I always get a bit of an upset stomach from them. Definately a $ show though :-)

Olga said...

Hhhmmm...Well, I finished off my junior year with a 4.0 and graduated from a 2-year-community-service-learning program that really made my college experience what it is...That ceremony was pretty awesome!

That parfait looks so good!

Syd said...

My happiness account has fresh vegetables, some great flowers, a good dinner on Friday and a great weekend on the boat in it. Great idea.

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

i like this metaphor!!

the ability to bike is definitely in my account!

Anonymous said...

The parfait looks so yummy. I definately like teh idea of teh bank account. I think I would put in my weekend of just hanging and relaxing with Sam while watching TV.

I hope you have some great memories from the recent to throw into your bank account. Take Care

Sheena

Anonymous said...

That atkins bar looks just like a snickers!! hope it was as tasty!

Happy thing: eating only 2 Ranger Cookies instead of 15 and finding Apricot Sheets at Jordan Valley--you're supposed to make tea with them, but I just eat them straight because they're like a thick giant fruit roll-up. I discovered them in Egypt 2 years ago and love them, but they're hard to find.

Samantha said...

You have the yummiest looking breakfasts! I bought this godawful cereal the other day that took me about an hour to eat it was so foul (soya & linseed something or other). Boo!
Happiest thing lately has been the sunshine and getting to scrub in on surgery the other day
x

EvilGenius said...

oooh no I like your posting, no need to make it lighter! it's always interesting and thoughtful, I reckon.
also, I want one of those Atkins bars now. especially if they taste protein-y cause I'm also a weird fan of that!
x Fi

Anonymous said...

My happy thing is getting a job and my own home and being fully independant.

Pamela Alida said...

I really like the bank account idea. Lets I would definitely put getting into school and getting back into volleyball in my bank account.

That parfait looks really yummy!

Anonymous said...

God has made so many deposits into my bank account lately--i found a house i love that i'm moving into tomorrow, i'm changing jobs within my company to something i'm passionate about, i had a really connecting talk with my sister the other day, and i got creme de menthe soft serve at tcby today. :)

Anonymous said...

WHoa! How delicious does that chocolate bar look!??!! Mmmm ....I haven't had caramel in so long! Thank you for reminding me of what i've been missing out on! :)

Anonymous said...

ellie, my darling, I think talking about shoes is def out of character for this blog! LOL! actually, I really enjoy your deep philosophical talks and get a lot out of it, so keep your insights coming!
and to be honest, when I saw the word "investment" my eyelids instantly drooped, but then I read on and I LOVE the idea! now, this I totally get! I'm really clueless with financial stuff, though, and couldn't care less.
anyway. hmm...recent happy things...well, my parents gave me a call from Malaysia last night! They're still on their mission trip, and I kind of miss them, so it was def nice to hear their voices!

Anonymous said...

OMG I absolutely just fell in love with the idea of a happiness bank account. that has to be one of the most unique and touching concepts I've heard in a long time. If i had something to add into my happiness account, it would prob be that I saw my best friend yesterday and that I have so many loved friends in this bloggin world. :)

Yummm that pasta looks really delicious! haha don't ya just love surprises?

p.s. thanks for the comment :) and dont you worry, I'm not giving up on the cashew cookie just yet.

Anonymous said...

Most recent happy thing would be getting my binoculars back out for the first time in six months and spending half an hour looking at the band of the Milky Way. I love this idea!! I laughed at your unexpected pasta, I would be pretty excited about that too :p

nicoleishappy said...

the happy account it awesome idea,there is alot i would put in but most recently is going jetskinning with the boy.

that pasta sure look tasty, hope you are having a great day!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

What a great looking parfait! It seems as though many bloggers are into the parfaits, I need to try making some, they are so pretty! As far as soy is concerned, I have taken a lot of classes in which we discuss soy. My grandma had breast cancer so I was always weary about it from what I read, but the latest research suggests its OK to eat soy, and in fact it's important for many biological reasons. Soy supplements, on the other hand (ie mega doses) are not a good idea, at all. So in my opinion, eat/drink soy, and enjoy!